10 Questions to Consider When Selecting and Comparing Nursing Home Care
1. Is the facility Medicare certified?
2. Is the facility Medicaid certified?
3. Is this a skilled nursing facility?
4. Is the facility accepting new patients?
5. Is there a waiting period for admission?
6. Is a skilled bed available to you?
7. Is the home and the current administrator licensed?
8. Does the home conduct background checks on all staff?
9. Does the home have special services units?
10. Does the home have abuse prevention training?
Also, be sure to check the occupancy rate. Simply take the total number of residents currently living in a nursing home divided by the home’s total number of beds. Occupancy rates vary by area, depending on the overall number of available nursing home beds.